From scribjj@yahoo.com Mon Jun 03 19:59:06 2002
Subject:Re: CX3 Firmware Update???
Hi Bruce,
As always, thanks for the info. Your attention to these matters is
greatly appreciated. I suppose I can wait a little longer.
I'm awfully anxious though...
I was reading the BX3 manual online and I noticed that the wheel
brake feature can be invoked with a momentary footswitch. I hope
they're including that feature in the CX3 update. Imagine
sporadically tapping a footswitch to cover the 'weeping' organ in
George Harrison's While My Guitar Gently Weeps! I've tried this with
the current press-on press-off scenario and my footswitching
technique is just not up to par.
scrib
--- In CloneWheel@y..., Bruce Wahler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The update was NEVER promised for April; it was promised for (late)
May. My understanding is that it has slipped into June.
>
> Although I have not received confirmation, I believe that the
reason for the slip is that Korg is trying to make sure the update is
as close to "bullet-proof" as possible, so that users can do the
upgrade, and this process has delayed things. The previous update
had little user feedback: Once you press the start button, if the
update worked OK, the display counted up in hexadecimal; if the
update failed -- for any reason -- the CX-3 just lied there. If you
got nervous and powered down the organ, it might have to go in for
service. Korg received feedback, from myself and others, that the
previous updates weren't suitable for the majority of users, and they
have been working to fix this issue.
>
> I've performed the earlier updates, and frankly, I think most of
the users would just as soon wait a couple extra weeks. I can
easily perform the update, but I'm a design engineer who has
developed desktop and laptop PCs for a living. I also have a battery-
backed AC power source in my lab, so even if I was to lose power, I
could still perform the update. My situation, however, is unusual;
less technical users might not be so fortunate.
>
> The alternative to a robust upgrade would be an authorized-service-
center-only update, which would have probably came out 1-2 months
earlier, but would require all of us to send our CX-3's back for
servicing -- and probably cost a good bit in shipping, even if the
technician time were free.
>
> Regards,
>
> -BW
>
> --
> Bruce Wahler
> Design Consultant
> Ashby Solutions™ http://consult.ashbysolutions.com
> CloneWheel Support Group and HiNote moderator
> 978.386.7389 voice/fax
> bruce@a...
>